Asian Beef & Cabbage Skillet
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 tablespoon Sesame oil
- 1 large onion , diced
- 4 cups green cabbage , shredded
- 1 teaspoon salt , more or less to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup rice , white or brown
- 3 cups water or beef stock , low sodium
- 1/2 tablespoon powdered ginger
- 1/2 cup soy sauce , we use low sodium
- Sesame Seeds
- 3 green onions , chopped
- In a large skillet, add the ground beef and sesame oil and saute over medium high heat.
- Peel and finely dice the onion, and add it to the meat, stirring it occasionally.
- Meanwhile, prepare the cabbage shreds. Cut the head of cabbage in half from the top, through the core, then cut each half again, so you have 4 pieces approximately equal in size. Carefully slice away the core, by angling the knife into the cabbage just above the core forming a "V" and slicing down toward the cutting board. Discard the core. Then, roughly shred or chop the cabbage.
- Once the meat is browned, stir in the salt, pepper to taste and add the rice and beef stock or water.
- Cook the rice about 15 minutes before adding the cabbage. Continue cooking until the cabbage is tender, about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Once the rice is tender, add the soy sauce and powdered ginger. Taste and adjust the seasonings to your likings. Garnish with a drizzle of sesame oil, some sesame seeds and a sprinkling of green onions for an Asian Inspired Skillet Dinner.
Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy, and is sourced from the USDA Food Database.