When cooked properly, this couldn’t be further from the truth. So, if all you have to go on is an experience from your youth in trying the mushy canned version, give Asparagus another try. You will find that you’ve really been missing out on this weirdly, wonderful vegetable.
After steaming, grilling, oven or pan roasting, crisp-tender asparagus needs just the fewest of ingredients to really make it shine. I enjoy asparagus fresh from the garden raw, broiled in the oven or pan sauteed with just extra virgin olive oil, salt, and pepper. The flavor, in my opinion, is hard to describe and has a flavor profile of its own, however, it is a flavor profile that keeps me coming back for more. Enjoy.
Looking for more vegetable inspiration? Check out these recipes:
- Prosciutto Wrapped Asparagus
- Potato Croquettes
- Ginger Glazed Carrots
- Cornbread Stuffing & Dressing
- Pan Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Bacon & Balsamic
- Green Bean Casserole
- Herb Roasted Fingerling Potatoes
- Butternut Squash with Brown Butter and Sage
- Braised Kale Greens
Asparagus with Blue Cheese & Toasted Walnuts. asparagus needs just the fewest of ingredients to really make it shine.
- 1 lb asparagus
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cracked pepper
- 1/4 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 1/2 cup walnuts, toasted
- Pre-heat olive oil in a heavy bottom, non-stick skillet over medium- high heat.
- Trim, wash and dry the asparagus. To know where to cut the stems hold a stem vertically and bend the cut end until it snaps off, then line all the asparagus together and cut the stems where the snap occurred. Then arrange them in the skillet, tossing to coat evenly in the oil. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Saute for about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Remove from pan and immediately sprinkle with blue cheese and top with walnuts. Serve immediately.
- Serving Size: 4 oz
- Calories: 194
- Sugar: 2.3 g
- Sodium: 354 mg
- Fat: 17 g
- Saturated Fat: 2.9 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 6.2 g
- Fiber: 3.4 g
- Protein: 8.1 g
- Cholesterol: 6 mg