I can remember when my kids were young they loved the frozen stuffed chicken breast filled with broccoli & cheese or the Chicken Stuffed with Ham and Swiss cheese. These were a special treat because they are expensive, a box of 4 portions is $12 and honestly, my boys can each eat two, bringing just the chicken alone up to $16.45 (6 portions). I have made the Broccoli Cheese Stuffed Chicken Breast version of these dinners for a fraction of the cost so I thought I would try my hand at one of the other flavors my family loves, the Chicken Cordon Bleu.
Looking for ways to use up leftover ham? Check out these recipes:
Chicken Stuffed with Ham and Swiss
- 4 boneless chicken breast, pounded thin
- 1/2 cup onion, minced
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 teaspoons dried Herbs de Provencal
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 green onions, minced
- 1/2 pound diced ham
- 4 ounce Swiss cheese, shredded
- 14-ounce bread stuffing mix
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- Kosher salt & black pepper
- Preheat oven to 375° F
- In a large bowl combine the onion, celery, parsley, Herbs de Provencal, garlic powder, green onions, ham, cheese, stuffing and 1/2 cup chicken broth. Mix well
- Scoop 1/4 cup stuffing mix and place in the center of chicken breast. Fold in sides, then roll making sure to tuck in any stuffing as you go, secure with a toothpick.
- Continue rolling until all are chicken breast are filled. Place any remaining stuffing in bottom of a foil lined baking pan, place chicken on top of any remaining stuffing. Bake for 35-40 minutes or until chicken juices run clear.
- While chicken is cooking make a quick pan sauce to top chicken after cooking. Heat a saucepan over medium heat, melt butter, add flour, continuously stir to form a roux, when slightly golden sprinkle with poultry seasoning and salt/pepper to taste, slowly add remaining broth, bring to boil, then reduce heat to simmer until sauce reduces by almost half and thickens.
- Spoon sauce over the chicken and serve immediately