One of my favorite meals at the local cantina is the carnitas. Once I realized just how easy these are to make at home, I felt a little silly. It’s our general rule that we never order out from a restaurant anything we can make at home just as well, if not better.
Looking for more pulled pork recipe? Check these out:
Easy Crock Pot Pull Pork Carnitas
- 4-5 pounds boneless pork shoulder
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried Mexican oregano
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 onions , cut in half
- 4 cloves garlic , minced
- 1 jalapeno , seeded with ribs removed, sliced
- 2 limes , halved and juiced
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Rinse and dry the pork shoulder. Salt and pepper liberally.
- Mix the oregano and the cumin with olive oil and rub all over pork.
- Place the pork in the slow cooker and top with the onions, garlic, and jalapeno.
- Pour over the top the juice of the limes. Cover and cook on low for 10 to 12 hours.
- Once the meat is tender, remove from slow cooker and shred apart with two forks.
- In a saute pan, heat the vegetable oil over high heat. Place the shredded pork into the oil and lightly fry until crusty on one side.
Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy, and is sourced from the USDA Food Database.