I did not, by any means, lose my Mom at a young age. In fact, I was 37 at the time she passed. But I remember thinking that day that she couldn’t go yet because I had not learned from her everything she had to teach. Even at 37, I still needed my Mom. Still, there’s not a day goes by that I don’t think of her… Don’t need her in some way… Don’t wish I could pick up the phone and hear her voice. So these days, when I think comfort food, it naturally makes me think of my Mom and the things she liked and the recipes she made and in those things I find comfort.
My Mom was a lover of Buttered Rum candy, Rum Raisin Ice Cream and things of that nature, so when I developed the recipe for Butter Rum Bundt Cake, I know she would have approved. Building on those ideas and upon the Gingerbread Cake I made this past Christmas, I know my Mom would have loved this Rum Raisin Rice Pudding. The raisins are so plump and delicious, it’s really hard to pass up.
Sprinkled with crystallized ginger and a dusting fresh nutmeg, this Rum Raisin Rice Pudding is simply satisfying… and uniquely comforting.
Looking for more pudding recipes? Check these out!
- Coconut Rice Pudding
- Crock Pot Rice Pudding
- Masala Chai Spiced Pudding
- 3/4 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup crystallized ginger, chopped fine
- 2 tbsp dark rum
- 3/4 cup Arborio rice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 5 cups half-and-half, divided
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 extra-large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- fresh nutmeg, to taste
- In a small bowl or measuring cup, combine the raisins, crystallized ginger and rum and set aside to soak.
- Combine the rice and salt with 1 1/2 cups water in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil, then cover and simmer on low for about 10 minutes until most of the water has been absorbed.
- Stir in 4 cups of half-and-half and the granulated sugar and bring to a boil. Simmer uncovered for 25 minutes, until the rice is very soft, stirring often.
- Once the rice is soft, slowly temper in the beaten egg and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the remaining cup of half-and-half, pure vanilla extract, raisins and crystallized ginger with any remaining rum and stir well to combine.
- Serve warm or chill before serving. Just before serving top with a dusting of fresh nutmeg.
- Calories: 0
- Sugar: 0 g
- Sodium: 0 mg
- Fat: 0 g
- Saturated Fat: 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 0 g
- Fiber: 0 g
- Protein: 0 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg