As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Please read my Disclosure Policy .
Update: This is a recipe from my friend Dina who blogged with me for a number of years after I started the blog. She lost her Mom shortly after I did and for a while needed a creative outlet to help deal with her long-term grief.
This is her recipe – it’s still one of my favorites and I requested it every birthday or special occasion when we were neighbors.
My family loves big, bold flavors and the flavors in this chicken marinade are just enough to give a little heat without being overly spicy and the buttermilk helps to tenderize the chicken and lock in the juices. Fried chicken was not a specialty in my house growing up, however, after living in Florida for over 30 years I have spent quite a bit of time learning how to achieve that amazing crispiness that is the “art” of a good fried chicken.
Today, I’m going to share my secrets with you!
Remember to plan ahead as this recipe needs about 2 to 8 hours to marinate the chicken and really season the meat. I typically do this before I head off to work so it’s ready to hit the fryer when I get home.
The secret to my success? In between batches, I keep the chicken warm in the oven in either a 3-qt baking pan or a rimmed baking sheet. This way the chicken stays hot and crispy while I finish frying the chicken and make the sides. My family wins by all getting to eat at once for a family dinner or Sunday Supper. :)
Do you have a fried chicken “secret” you’d like to share? Let us know! We’d love to hear from you!
Spicy Buttermilk Fried Chicken
- 1 Whole Fryer Chicken cut into 8 individual pieces or any combination of pre-cut pieces
- Oil - (Canola or vegetable oil)
For the Marinade:
- 2 cups Low-Fat Buttermilk - (regular or fat-free Buttermilk are also fine)
- 1 tsp ground pepper
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp ground chipotle pepper
- 1 tsp granulated garlic
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp Kosher Salt
- 2 tsp Spanish Paprika
For the Flour:
- 2 cups All-purpose Flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground pepper
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 Tbsp baking powder
- Mix all the ingredients for the Marinade in a large bowl or a large sealable plastic container or Ziploc bag, add the chicken pieces. Make sure all the chicken is covered with marinade. If you use a Ziploc bag, simply zip it and lay it down in a casserole dish to catch anything leaks and turn the bag over half-way through your marinating time.Cover and refrigerate for 2-4 hours.In a deep cast iron skillet or your favorite pan for frying, heat enough oil to cover the chicken about half way.Remove chicken from refrigerator and dredge in the flour mixture, Place 4 pieces of chicken in oil and cook until golden brown, then flip and do the other side.Remove chicken from oil and place on a cookie sheet with a cookie cooling rack to drain, after all, pieces are golden brown, place chicken in a heated 300 °F oven for 1/2 hour. This will allow the grease to drain and will keep the skin nice and crunchy.
Follow along on Social Media
This post was last updated on