One-Pot Roasted Lemon Chicken is a family favorite for #SundaySupper. While some lemon chicken starts with a lemon flavored seasoned salt, this one starts with whole fresh lemons and garlic. It’s so simple to make but tastes delicious and far superior to any lemon seasoning blend I’ve ever tried.
I love making whole roasted chicken for our Sunday supper because not only does it make my whole house smell fantastic, but it can be prepped in advance and just placed in the oven sometime in the afternoon. This meal gives us the chance to focus on family time instead of a lengthy, labor-intensive meal.
We then carve the chicken and serve it family style at the table.
During the last half hour of baking when I remove the lid to brown up the skin, I make my side dishes – like this Garden Vegetable Rice. I like to mimic the lemon, garlic, and parsley flavors from the lemon chicken in my rice dish. It pairs very well together.
After dinner, we take the leftover chicken and shred it to use in other meals during the hectic work week.
Roasted Lemon Chicken
- 1 roasting chicken, about 5 to 6 pounds
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 1 large bunch fresh parsley
- 4 lemons
- 3 heads garlic, cut in 1/2 crosswise
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Remove the bag of chicken giblets from the large cavity, if any. Rinse the chicken inside and out. Trim any excess fat. Pat the outside dry with paper towels.
- Place the chicken in a large roasting pan or Dutch oven. Salt and pepper the inside of the chicken cavities. Stuff the large cavity with the parsley, reserving enough parsley to garnish the chicken after it bakes.
- Also into the cavity add and 1 lemon cut in half or into wedges and 1 head of garlic cut in half across the middle to show the individual garlic cloves.
- Brush the outside of the chicken with the butter to promote browning and lightly season with salt and pepper.
- Tie the legs together with kitchen string and tuck the wing tips under the body of the chicken.This promotes even cooking.
- Cut another 2 of the lemons in quarters and place the quarters and remaining garlic around the chicken. Place a sliced lemon on top of the chicken and cover with a lid.
- Roast the chicken for 1 hour.
- Remove the lid and continue roasting the chicken for an additional 1/2 hour, or until the juices run clear when you cut between a leg and thigh.
- Remove to a platter and allow to rest for 10 minutes before slicing.
Do you have a favorite roasted chicken recipe? Tell me about it! I’d love to hear from you.